Thursday, July 23, 2015

Just Can't Get Enough

We are just days away from Cafe Casita, the fundraising event for our bunk bed project. If you are free Sunday afternoon or evening, you should stop by and check it out. Details can be found in the previous blog post.

Having been through the poverty simulation at Matter More before, I volunteered to lead groups through, acting as a tour guide during Cafe Casita. This morning I reviewed the key talking points and listened to actual stories of people from each country represented in the simulation. With tears in my eyes and an ache in my chest, I was struck with the overwhelming brokenness of our temporary home. How can I, how can we possibly make a difference in the face of such adversity? God, in His mercy, reminded me that it is not up to me or our team to change the world. Jesus has already done that. We are simply called to tell His story, our stories, and proclaim the hope of life found in relationship with Jesus Christ. The love He extends to us can overflow into the lives of the broken and hurting, restoring life and hope beyond providing for physical needs or "fixing" the tangible problems of poverty. His love has changed the world and is changing the world for those who hear of it. May we never grow weary of doing good and proclaiming the power of His love to transform lives around the world and in our own communities.

Now I'd like to introduce our fearless leader who will be accompanying both teams and has an incredible heart for the people of Guatemala.


Name:  Amy


Occupation: Occupational Therapist

Family: Mom, Dad, Brother, sis-in-law and the 2 awesomest nieces in the entire world.

How did you learn about the trip and why did you decide to go?....well. That is a long story. Do you have space for the whole thing?  The short part? God put this thing in my heart several years ago, and has been sending me ever since.  I love returning to see the kids in the orphanage, our partners in
the church, the growing church....

What are you most excited about for the trip?  I am excited to see how this bunkbed project will take shape.  Excited to continue building relationships that have been growing over the years. I am excited to see both team 1 and team 2 in action and seeing not only how God is using us in Guatemala--but how God might use Guatemala  in our own lives after we return.

What are you most nervous about for the trip?  As a leader there are always
things I can be nervous about.  But God has shown time and time again His
goodness and mercy in leading us through things that cause us concern.

Prior to this trip, where was your favorite place to visit and why?
Duluth + Lake Superior.  Absolutely beautiful...and more often breathtaking.

If you could have a super power, what would it be and why?  
I would love tospeak Spanish. Did you know that is the language of Heaven?  One day, I willspeak it....but until then, I will continue to think of it as a super power while I fumble along asking for things like butter when what I really want is a blanket....

Looking forward to seeing some of you on Sunday!

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weakness, so Christ's power may rest on me.
 ~2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment