Thursday, July 30, 2015

To sleep, is to dream...

Our fundraiser was a success! God demonstrated his amazing provision and we raised enough money for 10-12 families to receive bunk beds. These beds will hopefully be a place of refuge for children to sleep and dream of all God can do in and through their lives. Please continue to pray for the project as we prepare our teaching material. Pray that we would speak words of truth and grace, teaching the power of Christ to break patterns of abuse and bring hope for healing and restoration of families. Thank you so much to all who came and all who gave to the project. You are an integral part of our team and we couldn't go and serve without your support.

In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, Lord,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8 (NIV)

Here are a couple more dreamers who will be traveling to Guatemala during week 2 of the trip:


Name: Abby


Occupation: Preschool teacher at Fraser School in Richfield, MN. It is an inclusive child-care center which means I work with children who have special needs and typical developing children. 

Family: My dad, Larry, is the best dad ever and is an engineer! My mom, Nancy,  is the best mom ever and works at a senior living place  in the dining area. My sister's name is Sarah and she is two years younger than I am. Last but not least, I have an Australian Cattle dog named Callie who I love very  much and is so sweet!  Also, I live with my roommate who is also my best friend in the entire world, Kelsey!

How did you hear about this trip and why did you decide to go? 
I heard about this trip because I attend Wooddale Church. I went on this same trip last year and I absolutely fell in love with the Guatemalan people and children.  Thus,  I felt compelled to come back and continue this spiritual journey  that God has placed in my heart.  Children are important to me because  I  believe children bring out the joy in everyone they meet. 

What are you most excited about for this trip? 
I am most excited about feeling so much more connected to God and to see all of the children's smiling faces!

What are you most nervous about for this trip? 
I am most nervous about the van rides. They can be pretty bumpy and last year my stomach was not having it!

If you could be friends with one fictional character who would it be and why? 
I would be friends with Harry Potter! I would love to hear his perspective on his harrowing life and visit all of the wonderful places in the books such as Honeydukes {the sweet shop), Hogwarts, the Burrow (where Ron's family lives), and the Weasley's Joke Shoppe! 

If you could change your occupation, what would you change it too and why? 
I would be a children's mental health therapist because I love children and mental health is so important for everyone! 

Prayer Requests: Please pray for our whole team, the Guatemalan children and people, and that all of our hearts our opened to God's amazing grace now and forever! 

Name:  Gail


Occupation:  Library Assistant

Family:  Children:  Josh and Danielle (both 27) and Nicole (24)

How did you learn about the trip and why did you decide to go?  I looked through the list of Wooddale’s  short term missionary trips because I felt God was leading me to expand my horizons and do something that I hadn’t done before.  I was attracted to this trip because I love kids and enjoy working with them so it seemed a natural fit.  After I met Amy who was leading the trip, I pretty much knew I was going because she is so sweet, encouraging and funny.  The first information meeting sealed the deal.

What are you most excited about for the trip?   I am most excited about how God is going to use the trip to help me grow as a Christian.  I am not sure what areas He intends to  smooth out in my life, but I have no doubt He will be working on my many flaws!  I am excited about what our ministry partners in Guatemala will teach us about their way of life and how God works in their lives.  Also, this is my first trip outside the US, other than Canada, so I am excited about  the new cross cultural experience.

What are you most nervous about for the trip?  I feel the training and planning we have done so far has helped to reduce my anxiety considerably.  I guess maybe the language barriers are a bit of a concern. 
  
What song would play on your soundtrack for this season of life and why? 
 Be Thou My Vision  because:
                    1.      I will turn 63 in July.  As I have gotten older, I have realized that getting older is a series of letting go of the things of life that used to seem so important to me.  I find that if I keep God as the vision and purpose of my life, that transition becomes sweet as God gains importance to me and transitory things become less important.
                    2.      I love the line that says, “Thou my best thought by day or by night, waking or sleeping thy presence my light . . .” 
                    3.      I love the melody.
             
If you could have a super power, what would it be and why?
 I would have the power to eat unlimited calories without gaining weight!

How can we pray for you on this trip? 
 For good health and stamina, for confidence and peace as the trip is rather a stretch for me.  And to learn well whatever lessons God has for me.

All that is left to say in response to what He has done and what He is going to do...

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your postings! I am excited for all of you and will be following along in prayer!

    ReplyDelete